Lets Visit Different Types Of Bridging Visas

Bridging visas are of different types and can get really complicated

Bridging Visas 

Bridging visas are granted for onshore visa applications. The motive behind this is to make sure the applicant stay lawfully until the decision of the visa comes.
Odoo text and image block

Grant of a bridging visa does not mean that you will have the conditions of the current substantive visa are removed. If you currently have a substantive visa and have done a visa application, you will have to wait for the current visa to expire. Then and only then you will have the conditions of the bridging visa.

For eg- If the applicant, on a student visa has applied for a permanent visa. And the student visa will not expire in the next 3 months. The bridging visa will not be active until the current student visa expires. Getting your current visa cancelled will result in the bridging visa getting cancelled as well and lead to you being unlawful.

Bridging visa A

This is the most common visa and is usually granted when you have made a visa application. Your BVA, is valid until the result of the application comes through. If it’s a successful visa application, then your applied visa will replace the existing BVA. Unfortunately, in some cases when the decision is negative, your BVA can last only till 28 days. You will have to make an AAT appeal within 28 days for the immigration department to review your case. You will again be given a BVA until the AAT review decision comes into place. With BVA you don’t have travel rights to go out of country.

Bridging visa B

Bridging visa B can also be called Bridging visa A + travel rights. A BVB can be applied if you have substantial evidence in the form of travel tickets, where are you leaving to and why? It will be valid for a specific amount of time and your travel has to be between those dates. If you overstay or don’t follow those dates provided in the BVB, you will lose your BVA and BVB. This visa can take up-to 7 business days to approve and has to be applied at least 2 weeks prior to the travel arrangements but not more than 3 months.

Bridging visa C

The visa conditions and situations after BVB get stricter. BVC is usually granted when you aren’t exactly on a substantive visa but have applied for one. This means that either you have a BVA or have been living in Australia unlawfully. BVC has the same validity like BVA which is 28 days and has no travel rights.

Bridging visa D

This is a not a common visa and usually granted if you have been staying unlawfully. This visa is only granted for applicants who are looking for arrangements to apply for a substantive visa or planning to leave. If you leave you will face a ban of 3 years for applying for any substantive visa.

Bridging visa E

This visa is usually granted for applicants who either making arrangements to leave Australia or for applicants looking for applying for a substantive visa [yes there are visas you can apply while being on this visa]. You will receive a ban of 3 years if you plan to leave Australia. This visa usually doesn’t have working rights.

If you would like to know more or have any query feel free to contact us.

Contact us to find out your options!